Vegan Potato Breakfast Sausage Patties
All sausage gets its amazing flavor from the articular spice blend that’s used. From chorizo to Italian, and back to breakfast patty sausage, spices make the dish.
In this recipe, you can make my homemade sausage spice and adjust it to suit, use your family’s favorite blend, or buy one that’s premade. It’s all up to you!
The sausage mixture is made of black beans, quinoa, and of course the magical Idaho® potato. It adds body to the sausage and even helps it hold together.
Read Kathy's full post here.
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, drained well
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I used black quinoa but any color will work)
- 1 cup cooked Idaho® potatoes, drained well
- ¼ cup oat flour (or substitute brown rice flour)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Breakfast Sausage Spice Blend, recipe below, or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
Breakfast Sausage Spice Blend
I like to make my own spice blends so I can tweak them just the way I like them or buy a premade blend.
- 2 tablespoons salt (or leave out to make this into a salt-free blend)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or date sugar
- 4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
Make the Sausage Mixture:
- Drain excess liquid from the beans and potatoes. If there’s too much moisture you may need more oat flour and/or flaxseed to tighten the mixture up.
- Add the black beans, quinoa, and cooked potatoes to a large mixing bowl and smash with a potato masher until almost smooth.
- Mix in the flour, spice blend, and ground flax seeds until well combined. The mixture should be the texture of Playdough.
- Measure 2 tablespoons and form into a patty that is ½-inch thick. Repeat until you have approximately 20 patties.
Oven Version (Recommended):
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Prepare 1 large or 2 small sheet pans with parchment or spray with oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Take the sheet pan out to check on how fast they are cooking. You can leave as is or flip and bake for 10 more minutes. If they are still a little soft, bake a few minutes more.
Stove Top Option
- Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Once hot add the sausage patties.
- The size of your pan will determine how many you can cook at a time as you'll want enough space between the patties to easily flip them with a spatula.
- Flip once the bottom browns and cook until both sides are browned. Repeat until all patties are cooked.
Breakfast Sausage Spice Blend
- Add all the ingredients to a blender or spice grinder. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Note: You can use your coffee grinder. Grind some white rice first to clean out the coffee. Then grind white rice afterwards to get it ready for coffee again.
Freeze some for later
If you want to freeze some for later, undercook them a bit. Package in a resealable container or bag and freeze. Just grab the patties from the freezer and pan fry when you're ready!
Yield: 20 small patties