Tofu Potato Hash
- 10 pounds tofu, firmed, fresh, medium dice
- 2 ounces, divided, curry powder
- 1 pound jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 pound corn starch
- 5 pounds onion, red, jumbo, medium dice
- 1/2 pound garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, 90-ct, steamed, diced
- 1/2 ounce cayenne pepper
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 5 pounds rice, converted brown, steamed
- 5 pounds spinach, julienned
- 2 pounds canned pimentos
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- Salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Sprinkle tofu with 1 ounce curry powder and steam for 2 to 3 minutes. Reserve.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil to 350°F. Coat jalapenos with cornstarch and deep-fry until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, transfer jalapenos to paper towel to drain. Reserve.
- In a large pan over medium heat, saute onion, garlic and potatoes in oil until to golden brown, approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Add cayenne pepper, thyme and remaining curry powder; saute, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add brown rice, spinach, pimento and tofu. Add vegetable stock as needed. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reserve.
- Plate 6 ounces hash, garnish with 2 jalapeno slices and serve.
Yield: 100 servings
San Diego University
San Diego, CA