Schmaltz Idaho® Potatoes Lyonnaise
- 1 ¾ pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and slices ½ inch thick
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons schmaltz
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potato slices in a medium pot, cover them with water and ½ tsp salt, and bring to a boil. Once the potatoes reach a boil, let them cook for 4-5 minutes till they become just fork tender. Watch carefully as they can easily become overcooked and soft if you don’t watch them like a hawk.
- As soon as they’re cooked, drain them in a colander. Spread them out in a single layer on top of a bed of paper towels and gently pat dry. Let them cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium till hot. Place the sliced onions into the skillet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir. Cover the skillet with a lid, reduce heat to medium low, and let the onions cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, till the onions soften and caramelize.
- During the last minute of cooking, add the minced garlic and sauté till fragrant. Pour the cooked onions out of the skillet and into a bowl; reserve.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of schmaltz in the skillet over medium high heat. Place the cooked potato slices into the hot schmaltz spread out in a single layer. Let them fry undisturbed for 6-8 minutes till golden brown and crisp. Flip the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and continue to fry for another 5-7 minutes till golden.
- Remove potatoes from heat. Stir in the caramelized onions and garlic. Sprinkle with fresh chopped dill. Serve.