Pambazo Idaho Potatoes® Sandwich
Introducing the Pambazo, a traditional Mexican potato and chorizo loaded sandwich with bread soaked in a delicious red sauce, served fresh and ready to devour.
- 1 pound yellow Idaho® potatoes, diced into ½” cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 pound chorizo, casings removed
- 1 package refrigerated biscuit dough
- 1 14.5 oz can refried beans
- 1 cup guajillo chile sauce (red)
- ¼ cup pickled red onions
- ¼ cup sliced romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup crumbled cotija cheese
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat your smoker for 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Coat the potatoes in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes on the baking sheet and finish, crisping for another 10-15 minutes, flipping once halfway through cook time.
- Meanwhile, cook the chorizo in the now empty skillet, crumbling and browning all over until cooked through. 10-12 minutes.
- Toss the chorizo and potatoes together and cover to keep warm.
- Reduce the oven heat to 350. Press the biscuits into 5” disks with the palms of your hands and arrange onto the baking sheet. Cook according to directions on package, checking a minute or two sooner, as they are thinner now.
- Heat the refried beans according to the can.
- Heat the guajillo chile sauce in a small skillet.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- When biscuits are cooked, toss into the heated sauce to coat. Then, carefully arrange 4 on the baking sheet and smash with a spatula. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of refried beans over them. Press a spoonful of the chorizo potato mix over top, pressing to secure. Top with pickled red onions and cotija cheese. Top each with the remaining biscuits and press gently to hold them all in place.
- Spoon more of the guajillo sauce over each and place under the broiler to toast up for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven carefully and top with shredded lettuce and tomatoes as desired.