New Potatoes with Roasted Garlic, Pink Peppercorns and Kalamata Olives
- 4 ounces peeled garlic cloves (about 2 heads)
- 4 ounces, (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, about 4 inches each, divided use
- 2 stems fresh rosemary, about 4 inches each, divided use
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 5 pounds Idaho® small new red potatoes (about 1-inch diameter)
- 4 stems fresh mint
- 8 ounces diced fresh fennel, 1 medium bulb
- 2 ounces thinly sliced shallots, about 2 large bulbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces (1 cup) pitted kalamata olives
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, sliced julienne
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Place garlic cloves in a small ovenproof frying pan with olive oil, bay leaf, tarragon, half the rosemary and all the fennel seeds. Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, basting the garlic once or twice until softened and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, cool, then strain the oil into a large skillet. Set aside garlic cloves; discard herbs and seeds.
- Add fennel and shallot to the skillet. Saute over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove fennel and shallot, set aside.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan with the whole mint stems and remaining rosemary stems. Cover with water, add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through but still slightly firm. Drain; discard herbs. Cut potatoes in half or bite-size pieces.
- Add potatoes to the skillet used for the fennel and shallot. Cook until evenly golden brown, stirring or shaking pan occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add butter, olives, reserved fennel, shallot, and roasted garlic cloves to the potatoes. Cook and stir until heated through. Finish with lemon zest and juice, parsley, julienne mint, pink peppercorns and salt to taste. Sprinkle with feta cheese before serving.