Locro (Cheese Potatoes)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 quart yellow onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2-1/2 quarts Idaho®-grown Yukon Gold potatoes, 1-inch dice
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 cups queso fresco cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Melt the butter in a large pot being careful not to burn it. Add the onions and garlic and simmer until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the drained potatoes, stock, milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are al dente, approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the potato mixture from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Taste and correct seasonings. Check and correct consistency if required. Add some of the cooking liquid if too dry.
- Pan into a 2-inch full pan or appropriate size serving container.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley.
- Sauté 2 to 4 tablespoons of chopped yellow chili peppers for a spicier dish.
- Add a meat protein, e.g., diced chorizo.
- to 3 cups of corn is often added to this dish.
- Sliced/chopped avocado can be used as garnish.
Yield: 1 gallon
CEC, University of Colorado-Boulder