Loaded Bacon and Crispy Onion Potato Cakes
- 2 pounds russet Idaho® potatoes, peeled (optional) and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup Fresh Gourmet® Crispy Onions, divided
- ¾ cup Hormel® Bacon Bits, divided
- Oil, for shallow frying
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped, to garnish
- In a large pot, bring the potatoes in salted water to a boil and cook just until potatoes are tender but not falling apart.
- Drain well and mash with the back of a spoon or potato masher.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper, butter, and flour. Mix well.
- Add in ¼ cup of the crispy onions and ¼ cup bacon bits. Mix until well combined.
- Divide potato mixture into 6-8 equal balls and pat into rounds, about ½˝ thick.
- In a shallow bowl or on a plate, mix remaining crispy onions and bacon bits. Lightly coat each side of potato cakes.
- Heat a deep non-stick frying pan with about ¼-½˝ oil over medium heat. Gently shallow fry the potato cakes, 2 at a time, for 2 to 3 minutes each side until light brown and heated through. Keep warm.
- Garnish with extra crispy onions, bacon bits, and fresh chives.
If preferred, the potato cakes can be baked on a parchment-lined baking pan in a 400°F oven for about 10–12 minutes or until golden brown.