Idaho® Potato: Papas Gratinadas: Mexican Potatoes Au Gratin
- 7 Idaho® potatoes (peeled and boiled for 20 minutes)
- 7 Anaheim chiles (roasted, peeled, and deseeded)
- 7 (half inch) slices of pepper jack cheese
- 1 3/4 cups Mexican crema
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese (grated)
- Spray 10 x 8 casserole dish with non stick spray.
- Peel and boil potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain and set to the side.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch slices. It’s okay of it becomes crumbly, you will use the crumbs too. Set to the side.
- Slice chiles down the middle and stuff with pepper jack cheese slices. Set to the side.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour 1/4 cup of crema on the bottom of the casserole dish. Smooth it out with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Next place down a layer of potato slices.
- Top with stuffed anaheim chiles.
- Sprinkle the top of stuffed chiles with sliced onions.
- Pour in a 1/2 cup of Mexican crema over the top of onions.
- Generously sprinkle the top of the crema and onions with cheddar cheese.
- Next sprinkle in chili flakes, Lawry’s, and ground pepper.
- Add another layer of Idaho potatoes.
- Then add in another 1/2 cup of crema.
- Top with remaining potatoes and another 1/2 cup of crema.
- Finish the whole casserole layering with a 1 1/2 cups grated pepper jack cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes, then place the casserole dish on the top shelf of oven under the broiler (on high) for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden crisp.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
You can buy the chiles already whole, roasted and peeled in a can