Easy Idaho® Potato Latkes
Here, finally, is an easy way to make delicious oniony potato latkes that are crisp on the outside, tender inside.
- 3 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes (4 large)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white or black pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Canola or grape seed oil for frying
- Applesauce, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Bring a large pot, halfway filled with water, to a boil. Add the potatoes. When the water returns to a boil set the timer for 30 minutes and let the potatoes boil. Remove cooked potatoes from the pot and let them cool for 15 minutes. Put them in the fridge - covered with foil - for at least 2 hours or over night.
- Line a baking tray with two layers of paper towels and set it aside. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy (preferably cast iron) skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer onions to a clean plate and leave them to cool. Don't wash the onion pan - you'll use it to fry the latkes
- While the onions are cooling, peel the potatoes. You can peel them by hand, with a vegetable peeler or with a knife. The skin will come off easily. Grate the potatoes into a large bowl, using the large holes in a hand or box grater. They're extremely easy to grate. (Or you can shred them in the food processor, using the shredding attachment) Add the beaten eggs, salt, pepper, flour and cooked onions. Toss gently to combine everything.
- Pour enough oil into the skillet to come up to about ⅛ of an inch. Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the oil wrinkles – hot, but not smoking. Form the latkes into any size you like by scooping with a tablespoon and using your hands to gently pat them into the desired shape. Lay each latke carefully into the hot oil after you form it. Work in batches so you don't crowd the pan. Cook, pressing down on latkes with the back of a spatula from time to time, for about 2 minutes per side or until latkes are golden brown. Adjust the heat so they don't burn and add more oil, as needed. Transfer cooked latkes to a paper-towel-lined tray. You can keep them warm in a 225ºF oven until ready to serve.
- Serve latkes alone or with applesauce or sour cream.