Creamy Idaho® Potato and White Bean Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups reduced sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, and diced
- 15.5-ounce cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and mashed
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese (1/2 cup)
- 3 whole green onions, chopped
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, and salt. Cook 5 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Working in batches, pour 1 cup of the hot mixture into a blender, (secure lid tightly by holding down firmly) and puree until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup. Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven, add bell pepper, beans, and black pepper and cook over medium heat, covered, 8 minutes or until bell peppers are tender.
- Spoon into individual bowls and sprinkle evenly with the cheese and green onions.
Notes From the Test Kitchen: Don’t overlook the delicious flavors of the blue cheese and green onions, they "brighten" the dish. Creamy Idaho® Potato and White Bean Soup » Photo Courtesy of Tonya Vokra
Yield: 6 servings (1 1/3 cups per serving)
Sodium: 800 mg
Fat: 4.5 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 8 g
Cholesterol: 10 mg
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)