What to do with leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes? Prepare a healthy and hearty Turkey Shepherd's Pie!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 cups leftover mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey meat
- 1 1/3 cups gravy (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups leftover cooked vegetables (or mixture of frozen corn, peas, carrots, green beans, etc., thawed)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Optional: Cranberry sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the oil, celery, onion, ground black pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook and stir until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, place the potatoes and sour cream in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine; set aside. Add the turkey and gravy to the onion mixture in the skillet and stir. When the mixture is heated through, transfer it to a deep-dish pie pan (or a 9 x 9-inch baking dish). Top the turkey mixture with the cooked vegetables.
- Drop the mashed potatoes by large spoonfuls onto the pie. Using a rubber spatula rinsed with cold water, flatten the potatoes to cover the turkey and vegetables, smoothing to the edge of the pie pan or dish. Brush the top of the potatoes with melted butter. Place the pie pan onto the foil-covered baking sheet and bake 35 - 40 minutes, or until heated through.
- Cover the pie with foil and let it rest for 5 - 8 minutes before serving. If desired, offer cranberry sauce on the side.