Spicy Idaho® Potato and Chicken Croquettes
- 10 ounces yucca, peeled, all red skin removed, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 10 ounces Idaho® potatoes, peeled, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon each: paprika, finely ground black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme, garlic powder
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Spicy Chicken Stuffing (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- Vegetable shortening, as needed for deep-frying
- 1 cup Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (recipe follows)
- 4 sprigs rosemary, for garnish
- Spicy Chicken Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter (or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, minced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces chilled, salted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pinch white pepper
- Place yucca in large pan with water to cover and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Bring to boil; cook until tender but not mushy, 45 to 50 minutes. Drain well; cool. Remove center vein and any uncooked yucca.
- In separate pan, cover potatoes with water and add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Boil until tender; drain well; reserve.
- In small dish, make seasoning mixture by combining remaining 2 teaspoons salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, thyme and garlic powder. In separate bowl, mix 2 teaspoons seasoning mix with 3/4 cup flour.
- Prepare Spicy Chicken Stuffing and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce. (See recipes below.)
- Place potato, yucca, butter, remaining seasoning mix and remaining 2 tablespoons flour in food processor. Blend to dough consistency, about 1 minute.
- Using a tablespoon, portion out 20 mounds of potato mixture onto a cutting board. Coat hands with seasoned flour; roll each portion of potato mixture into a ball. Make indentation in each ball; fill with 1/2 teaspoon of Spicy Chicken Stuffing and 1/2 teaspoon shredded cheese. Gently fold potato mixture around stuffing; roll each ball into a cylinder about 2 inches long and 3/4 inch wide.
- In small bowl, beat eggs with 1 tablespoon water. Place breadcrumbs in another bowl. Dip each croquette in remaining seasoned flour, then egg wash, and then breadcrumbs. Place on paper-lined sheet pan.
- In deep-sided pan over medium-high heat, melt enough vegetable shortening for deep-frying (about 2 inches); heat to 350ºF. Fry croquettes until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain well on paper towels; season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and garnish with sprig of rosemary.
- Heat butter in medium sauté pan over medium-high heat; sauté onion and jalapeños until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, thyme, oregano, chili powder and salt; cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken to pan along with sugar and vinegar; cook until chicken is no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute to incorporate. Transfer to small bowl; cool.
- Over open flame, char red pepper until blackened. Place in bowl; cover with plastic wrap. When cool, remove skin and seeds; purée in food processor; reserve.
- In pan on medium heat, sauté shallots, garlic and bay leaf in oil, 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 of red-pepper purée; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add wine and lime juice; cook until reduced by half, 2 minutes. Add cream, reduce to half, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Decrease heat to low and slowly add pieces of butter to sauce pot, stirring or whisking, until melted. Strain sauce into a container. Add white pepper and remaining red-pepper purée.
Yield: 4 appetizer servings
Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar