Norwegian Idaho® Potato Pancake with Poached Eggs, Jarlsberg Cheese Sauce and Cranberry Relish
Norwegian Idaho® Potato Pancake
- 4 Idaho Potatoes
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Jarlsberg Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 2 cups Jarlsberg cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg, grated
- 1 1/2 cups whole fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 orange, zested
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Boil potatoes in salted water for 12 minutes; cool to room temperature, peel and grate.
- Peel and dice onion.
- Cook bacon and dice. (Onions and bacon should be diced to equal sizes.)
- Combine potatoes, onion and bacon.
- Half whip egg white; fold into potato mixture.
- Mix flour, chives, parsley, salt and pepper into potato combination.
- Be sure not to overwork; the potatoes should keep their grated texture.
- Scoop potato mixture onto lightly oiled pancake griddle with 2 ounce scoop and cook until lightly browned on both sides; approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Bring cream and milk to a simmer.
- Mix cornstarch and water together.
- Add cornstarch slurry to simmering milk and cream (you must bring the cream to a boil to activate the corn starch).
- Slowly add in grated Jarlsberg cheese, continually whipping until a smooth sauce-like consistency.
- Add salt, white pepper and nutmeg.
- Keep sauce warm until ready to serve.
- Mix cranberries, sugar, orange zest and salt together in a bowl.
- Place in a thick-bottom saucepan; bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Cook for 12 minutes, or until the mixture is a jam-like consistency.
- Top potato pancake with 1 poached egg.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of cheese sauce over top the egg.
- Garnish with 1 large tablespoon of cranberry relish.
- Finish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Yield: 6 - 8 Servings
Stein Eriksen Lodge
Park City, UT