Miniature Potato and Smoked Shrimp Pot Pies
- 1/2 lb medium size shrimp, smoked with their shells
- 2 Idaho potatoes (60 count), peeled, medium dice*
- 2 large leeks (white only), small dice
- 2 large carrots, peeled, small dice
- 3 ribs celery, peeled, small dice
- 2 oz smoked bacon or andouille sausage, small dice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups shellfish stock
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- *Hold diced potatoes in cold water to prevent oxidation.
- 1 lb All-purpose flour
- 4 oz shortening
- 4 oz butter
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Pinch of salt
- In a sauce pot over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil, half the celery, carrot, and leek, and cook until tender. Add bay leaf and 1 sprig of thyme, as well as smoked shells from shrimp.
- Top with stock and allow to gently simmer.
- In a sauce pot over medium heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the bacon.
- Cook until bacon is crisp; add remaining vegetables and cook until tender.
- Add the flour and allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Strain the stock into the vegetable and flour mixture.
- Add the raw diced potatoes and allow to simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add the diced shrimp and the leaves from remaining thyme; adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Roll out dough to 1/16 of an inch thick. Place in small (2-inch diameter) tart shell mold and bake in a preheated 350º oven until two-thirds cooked; brush the insides with egg wash and place back in oven for one minute. This will help prevent the crust from becoming soggy when filling is added.
- Cut discs for lids, with a small vent hole in each. Keep in refrigerator until final assembly.
- Fill the pre-baked mini pie shells with the warm mixture. Brush egg wash on the underside of the lid to seal, and place on the filled pie shell.
- Brush the tops of the lids with egg wash and season with salt and pepper. Bake in 350º preheated oven until golden. Unmold and serve.