Mediterranean Seafood Casserole
- 3 medium Idaho Potatoes (about 6 oz. each), scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (141/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, drained (reserve liquid)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 small zucchini (about 6 oz. each), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound bay scallops, sea scallops, shrimp and/or firm-fleshed fish such as swordfish, salmon or tuna.
- 2 cups Idaho Potato Cream Sauce (see recipe below)
- Idaho Potato Cream Sauce
- 1 small Idaho Potato (about 4 oz.) peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon butter-flavored granules
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper (white or black)
- 1/2 to 1 cup skimmed evaporated milk
- Slice one of the Idaho Potatoes very thinly. In large skillet filled with 1-inch of boiling water, cook sliced potato until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and reserve potato.
- Meanwhile, cut remaining 2 potatoes in 3/4-inch chunks. Wipe skillet dry and in same pan, combine potato chunks, garlic, onion, bell pepper, stewed tomato liquid, bay leaf, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered 10 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, zucchini,stewed tomatoes and 4 teaspoons chopped parsley. Recover and simmer an additional 6 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spoon mixture into a 3-quart shallow casserole dish. Stir in scallops, shrimp and/or fish, then Idaho Potato Cream Sauce. Arrange sliced potatoes near rim of dish. Loosely cover with foil and bake 20 minutes or until fish is tender and sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle remaining parsley on potato slices. Serve warm with crusty bread.
- In a small saucepan, combine Idaho Potato and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using an electric hand mixer, blend potatoes until smooth. Stir in 1/2 cup milk along with the remaining ingredients, blending until smooth and, if needed, add more milk to reach a creamier consistency.
Yield: 4 servings
Sodium: 791 mg
Fat: 5 g
Protein: 33 g
Cholesterol: 40 mg
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)