Loaded Potato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Great for at-home lunches or snacks, easy to make, and kid friendly!
Read Stacey's full post, including more photos, here.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus extra for toasting sandwich
- 1 medium-sized Idaho® red potato, sliced into ¼˝ rounds
- 4 slices bread, such as sourdough
- 4 slices deli ham
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1-2 tablespoon chives, diced
- Optional: Handful of microgreens
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the butter until melted over medium heat.
- Season the potato slices with salt and pepper if desired. Add the sliced potato rounds to the melted butter and cook until golden on both sides, about 3-5 minutes each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Spread enough softened butter on only one side of each slice of sourdough bread. On one slice of bread butter side down, layer the cheese, ham, potatoes, chives, another slice of cheese, and if using, microgreens. Top with a slice of bread butter side up.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat, place the sandwich in the skillet and cook for about 3-5 minutes, then carefully turn over to brown the other side.
- Once golden on the bottom and top of grilled cheese, remove and repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
- We love Black Forest ham but bacon or prosciutto can be substituted too.
- Bread such as sourdough or ciabatta is best. Softer breads do not hold up as well.
- Pan-fried potato slices can be made up to 1 day ahead. They also make a great side dish on their own!
- You can use any sliced cheese such as American, cheddar, gouda (our favorite), Swiss, etc. For ease, we use presliced cheese from the deli section. Grated cheese works great too.
Saturated Fat: 10g
Unsaturated Fat: 8g
Trans Fat: 0g