(Be Thankful for) Holiday Dinner Leftovers Shepherd’s Pie Featuring Garlic Mashed Idaho® Potatoes
- 5-6 cups leftover Idaho® (garlic) mashed potatoes
- 4 cups leftover stuffing
- 1 ½ cup leftover whole berry or jellied cranberry sauce
- 3 cups leftover boneless white and/or dark meat turkey
- 2 cups leftover vegetables (carrots, corn, green beans, etc.)
- ¾ cup leftover turkey gravy
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- Optional: ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Garlic Mashed Idaho® Potatoes Ingredients:
- 2 ½ pounds Idaho® Russet potatoes
- 4 large cloves fresh garlic
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream (or whole milk)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black or white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 10” deep-dish pie plate or 9” square (2.2 quart) baking dish with 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
- Add leftover stuffing to pie plate or baking dish, distributing evenly. Gently press stuffing over dish and to up edges to form “pie crust” layer.
- Spread leftover cranberry sauce evenly over stuffing.
- Chop turkey into bite-size pieces, about 1-2” and arrange over cranberry sauce.
- Add leftover vegetables in single layer on top of turkey.
- Drizzle leftover gravy over vegetables.
- Using spoon or rubber scraper, gently add leftover Idaho® mashed potatoes one cup at a time to cover pie. Distribute potatoes just to edges of dish, forming a crown over the pie. Cut remaining 1 tablespoon of butter into small pieces and dot top of mashed potatoes.
- Bake until Idaho® mashed potatoes are golden brown and pie ingredients are heated through, about 22-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle pie with finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional) and garnish with chopped fresh chives (optional). Serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 1” pieces.
- Peel garlic and slice cloves in half, lengthwise.
- In large saucepan or stock-pot over high heat, add potatoes and garlic with enough cold water to cover by 1-2 inches.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and garlic into colander, removing all water from pan.
- Discard any garlic pieces you see, (skip this step for more garlic flavor in your potatoes!).
- Return potatoes to dry pan, cooking over medium/low heat 2 minutes to dry.
- Transfer potatoes to oven-safe mixing bowl. Add salt, butter, heavy cream (or milk).
- Mash potatoes with hand masher to desired consistency.
- Wipe bowl rim clean if necessary, cover tightly with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from oven and transfer to serving dish.
- Garnish potatoes with chopped fresh chives, additional butter and/or 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional). Serve immediately.
Yield: 6-8 Servings