Instant Pot Corned Beef with Cabbage, Carrots, and Buttered Idaho® Potatoes
This classic Irish corned beef and cabbage recipe is cooked in your pressure cooker, saving time and hassle. The Idaho® potatoes are made extra delicious by smothering them in butter and parsley after cooking.
Read Elizabeth's full post here.
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket (more if you want leftovers for sandwiches or hash) with spice packet
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 cups water
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 2-3" in length
- 1.5 pounds small red Idaho® potatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and cut into 8-10 wedges
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- Place onions, garlic, corned beef, and water in your pressure cooker. Sprinkle spice packet seasoning on top. Set pressure to manual on high for 70 minutes. Quick release the pressure when it's done and wait for float valve to drop before opening.
- Meanwhile, prep the vegetables.
- Remove corned beef to a bowl along with most of the looking liquid. Leave about 2 cups in the pressure cooker.
- Add the potatoes on one side of the pressure cooker in the rest of the liquid, the carrots on the other. Place the cabbage wedges on top. Set pressure to manual on high for 3 minutes. Quick release the pressure and wait for float valve to drop before opening.
- Remove the carrots and cabbage.
- Place potatoes in a bowl and add the butter and parsley, stirring until butter is melted and coats every potato. (see notes)
- Cut the corned beef against the grain into slices and serve with the vegetables, buttered potatoes, some cooking liquid drizzled on top, and a garnish of fresh parsley.
- To make this on your stovetop, simmer corned beef in a large covered pot with the spice packet, garlic, onions, and water for 2 hours. Add the potatoes, cabbage, and carrots to the pot on top of the brisket and simmer for 30 more minutes, or until vegetables are very tender. Proceed as instructed above, making sure to reserve some cooking liquid for serving.
- To make this in your slow cooker, add corned beef, spice packet, garlic, onions, potatoes, and carrots to the slow cooker. Cook on high for four hours or low for 8 hours. Add the cabbage on top and continue cooking for 45 minutes-1 hour, or until cabbage is tender. Proceed as instructed above, making sure to reserve some cooking liquid for serving.
- Corned beef has a tendency to dry out. Store any leftovers with the cooking liquid in order to keep it moist.