Idaho® Potato Daigaku Imo (Japanese Caramelized Potatoes)
- 1 medium Idaho® potato
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or substitute honey)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons gomashio (sesame salt)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Scrub the potato well and cut into wedges, leaving the skin on for color (you can peel it if you want). Put the cut pieces into cold water.
- Drain the pieces and pat dry. Place in fryer until cooked through and lightly browned.
- Combine the sugar, syrup, and soy sauce in a small pot until the mixture is reduced and nappe consistency.
- Remove potato from fryer, drain, and combine with the simple syrup mixture. Toss to coat and the potato will shine if coated properly. Sprinkle with some gomashio. Separate the potato pieces so they don't get stuck to each other.
- Spoon mixture into cone (paper-form) and serve with fork. In a restaurant setting, the potato could be added to the simple syrup at the end of the reduction. This method works best with a food truck.