For the Crispy Shoestring Potatoes
- Using a mandolin, cut potatoes into shoestrings. Pat dry.
- Deep-fry in 350ºF peanut oil until crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Drain; set on paper towel. Sprinkle with salt; reserve.
For the Soup
- In a large pan of salted water, cook potatoes in 140ºF water for 20 minutes, then bring to a boil until potatoes are soft. Drain.
- In a sauté pan over high heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for 1 minute; add chipotle chiles and adobo sauce; lower heat to medium; continue cooking until onions are soft and translucent, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Combine potatoes, stock or water, cream, cumin and coriander in large saucepan. Bring to gentle boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 minutes. Turn off heat; let cool about 5 minutes.
- Purée with immersion blender until smooth, gradually adding cheese. Season to taste with kosher salt and white pepper.
- In small bowl, mix together bell peppers, cilantro and onion. Squeeze lime over; mix in juice. Season to taste with salt.
- Per portion: Garnish each bowl of soup with 1 to 2 tablespoons pepper mixture, 1 tablespoon cheese and 1/4 cup Crispy Shoestring Potatoes.