Grilled Cheesy Garlic Potato Packets
- 8 medium Idaho® potatoes, washed and peeled, if desired
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese*, grated
- 1-2 scallions, sliced for garnish, optional
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Thinly slice the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix salt, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with olive oil, liquid smoke and seasonings.
- Prepare 4 large sheets of foil, preferably heavy duty, or double the regular foil.
- Divide the potatoes between prepared foils.
- Place the sliced garlic over the potatoes.
- Close each packet tightly and grill on medium for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Carefully open the packets and immediately top the potatoes with cheese.
- Let the cheese melt for a couple of minutes and serve immediately. If desired, sprinkle some scallions for garnish.
Tip: You can substitute any good melting cheese for mozzarella cheese. For example, fontina and gruyere work great for this recipe.