Idaho® Potato-Onion Nests with Creamed Spinach and Eggs
- 1 cup grated Idaho® baked potato
- 2 tablespoons grated red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
Creamed Spinach and Egg Filling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago or Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- Generous pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. fresh spinach, steamed, chopped and squeezed dry
- 2 eggs, poached
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Oil two 1-cup ramekins or custard cups.
- Mix the potato, onion and salt together: divide between the ramekins. Press into the sides and bottoms, forming a lining 1/2-inch thick.
- Brush lightly with oil. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until tightly browned and crisp. Let cool.
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour.
- When bubbling, reduce heat to low and cook 3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk; simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir in spinach.
- Divide between nests. Top with poached egg.