Idaho® Potato Torta
- 3 cups Idaho® potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/8-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups Vidalia onions, cut into 3/8-inch cubes
- 4 - 5 cups olive oil (preferably extra virgin)
- 6 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Manchego cheese (optional)
- Cover potatoes and onion with olive oil in heavy-bottom saucepot. Simmer on stovetop over medium to medium-high heat until potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes. Occasionally, stir carefully to prevent potatoes from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Drain and reserve 2 tablespoons oil. Mix potatoes and onion with eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. Preheat 10-inch nonstick saucepan on stovetop with reserved olive oil on medium heat. Pour in potatoes, onion and egg mixture, smoothing out mixture with a rubber spatula. Gently shake pan, using rubber spatula to keep mixture from sticking to sides, until eggs begin to set (approximately 5 minutes), being careful not to brown eggs.
- Place pan in 300° F preheated oven until mixture is completely set (12 - 15 minutes). Be careful not to overcook, as torta will be rubbery with overcooking. Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes and carefully invert onto plate or cake circle. Cool to room temperature and slice.
- Serve with shaved Manchego cheese.