Crispy Chili Potatoes
- 2 pounds Melissa’s Dutch Yellow Peewee Idaho® Potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/3 cups tamari
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 (2-inch) pieces ginger
- 2 dried Thai chiles
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups tempura batter mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried Thai chili flakes
- 2 cups Kewpie® mayonnaise
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 green Thai bird’s eye chiles, de-stemmed
- Salt, to taste
- Oil for frying
- Poached Potatoes (see recipe)
- Cornstarch for dusting
- Tempura Batter (see recipe)
- Salt, to taste
- Sneaky Mayo (see recipe)
- 1 cup scallions, thinly sliced, green parts only
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine all ingredients and bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until potatoes are just tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove potatoes from water and let cool completely.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl until there are no lumps.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and purée until smooth. Pass through a strainer to remove any larger pieces. Season to taste. Reserve refrigerated until use.
- Heat a deep fryer to 350°F. Lightly dust potatoes with cornstarch, then coat them in Tempura Batter and drop them into the fryer one at a time, being careful they don’t stick together. Fry potatoes in batches until batter is golden brown and potatoes are hot in the center, 4 to 5 minutes. Season potatoes with salt and drain on paper towels.
- Place some Sneaky Mayo on the bottom of a bowl or plate. Place 10 potatoes over mayo and add dollops of mayo on top of each potato. Garnish with scallions and any tempura bits that are left from frying.