Crispy Chili Potatoes
- 2 pounds Melissa’s Dutch Yellow Peewee Idaho® Potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/3 cups tamari
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 (2-inch) pieces ginger
- 2 dried Thai chiles
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups tempura batter mix
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried Thai chili flakes
- 2 cups Kewpie® mayonnaise
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 green Thai bird’s eye chiles, de-stemmed
- Salt, to taste
- Oil for frying
- Poached Potatoes (see recipe)
- Cornstarch for dusting
- Tempura Batter (see recipe)
- Salt, to taste
- Sneaky Mayo (see recipe)
- 1 cup scallions, thinly sliced, green parts only
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine all ingredients and bring just to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered until potatoes are just tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove potatoes from water and let cool completely.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl until there are no lumps.
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and purée until smooth. Pass through a strainer to remove any larger pieces. Season to taste. Reserve refrigerated until use.
- Heat a deep fryer to 350°F. Lightly dust potatoes with cornstarch, then coat them in Tempura Batter and drop them into the fryer one at a time, being careful they don’t stick together. Fry potatoes in batches until batter is golden brown and potatoes are hot in the center, 4 to 5 minutes. Season potatoes with salt and drain on paper towels.
- Place some Sneaky Mayo on the bottom of a bowl or plate. Place 10 potatoes over mayo and add dollops of mayo on top of each potato. Garnish with scallions and any tempura bits that are left from frying.
Tigar Mama, Sweet Cheeks Q, Foo's Errand