Country Fried Potatoes with Onions and Green Peppers
- 4 Idaho® Russet Potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Canola oil, as needed for frying
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 1 small green bell pepper, de-stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted and ground
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 ounce lemon zest
- Bring potato slices to a boil in a large pot of salted water; cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain potatoes and spread on paper towels to dry.
- Heat 2 inches of canola oil in a 6-quart saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 375°F (or preheat oil in a deep fryer). Working in batches, deep-fry potatoes in a fry basket until crisp, about 7 minutes; drain in basket.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté bell pepper for 2 minutes. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes, until onions are slightly caramelized but not too Set aside and keep warm.
- While still hot, place fried potatoes and onion-pepper mixture in a bowl. Combine ground coriander and fennel; sprinkle over vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with fresh parsley and lemon zest.