Idaho® Potato Gratin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced fine
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon sea salt, milled
- 1/8 tablespoon white pepper, freshly grated
- 1 cup aged Gruyere cheese, grated, divided
- 6 Idaho® Russet potatoes, medium size (8-9 ounces), sliced 1/8-inch thick
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated, to finish
- Pre-heat an oven to 350°F.
- Rub the bottom and sides of a half-hotel pan (roughly 12” x 10”) –or similar sized baking dish– with butter and garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and ¾ cup of Gruyere cheese.
- Layer the potatoes in an evenly in the pan, covering the bottom completely.
- Pour the cream mixture over the potatoes, pressing the potatoes with a spoon to ensure even distribution of the liquid. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup Gruyere over the top of the gratin.
- Cover the pan with foil, and bake for approximately 1 hour, or until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the foil and top with an additional ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Return the gratin to the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until the gratin is browned and bubbling.
- Let the gratin rest 10-15 minutes before serving.