As grilling season ramps up it’s good to have an arsenal of go-to side recipes, including this Blackberry Balsamic Jo Jo Idaho® Potatoes with Goat Cheese. Decadent and rich, but quick to grill up and garnish – these Jo Jos are crispy on the outside yet still soft and flakey on the inside thanks to some time in the fridge to dry out a bit. Crispy/creamy taters, blackberries, balsamic, mint, goat cheese – this side hits just right.
See original recipe on Spiceology HERE!
- 1 pound Idaho® Potatoes russet potatoes, cut into wedges
- Olive oil
- Spiceology Blackberry Balsamic
- 4–6 ounces blackberries
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup honey (or agave)
- 4–6 mint leaves, optional
- goat cheese crumbles
- crushed cashews
- Fill a stock pot with water
- Cut potatoes into wedges (skin on) and place into a water bath to avoid oxidation
- Once all your wedges are made drop into stock pot and bring to a boil
- Allow your wedges to boil until tender (about ten minutes) or so. *You want to find the perfect moment tender enough the starches from the potatoes are pulled to the surface but not too tender where the wedges break apart
- Carefully discard the wedges from the water with a slotted spoon or small racket and place onto a rack in a sheet tray or if you don’t have a rack place on a sheet tray and paper towels. Place into your refrigerator uncovered to dry out overnight
- Now that your wedges are dry preheat your Traeger/Grill to 425 degrees
- Toss wedges in a mixing bowl and with oil and Spiceology’s Blackberry Balsamic blend. Place back onto sheet tray
- While the Traeger/Grill is preheating take a sauce pan and place all of your ingredients for glaze to a simmer and reduce to ½ – ⅓ C.
- Strain through a sieve and place into the fridge to cool. *Use solids to create a “jam” for later use
- Now that your Traeger/Grill is to temperature, place your wedges in the sheet tray into the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes (or until crispy) turning the wedges 2-3 times throughout roasting so they crisp on all sides
- Remove from the oven once crispy, plate wedges and drizzle glaze over the wedges. Garnish crumbled goat cheese, blackberries, crushed cashews. Serve immediately
Optional: If you have a fryer disregard the oven roasting method and season wedges with Blackberry Balsamic blend after frying
Still have french fried potato questions? Looking for more recipes?
We've got you covered with All Things French Fried Potatoes!