Idaho® Potato Gnocchi Coeur D'Alene
- Idaho® Potato Gnocchi
- 4 Idaho Russet Potatoes, one pound each
- 1¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan Cream
- 1 block Parmigiano-Reggiano, grate into ribbons, reserve rind
- 2-4 cups heavy cream
- To taste kosher salt
- To taste white pepper
- To taste Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1½ lbs fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 12 artichokes quarters
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic and shallots
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- To taste salt and pepper
- 2 oz white wine
- 1 vine-ripe red tomato, peel, julienne, rough chop and season with 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper
- 3 slices prosciutto, bake until crisp in 350-400°F oven, set aside
- Bake potatoes for 1 hour in convection oven, then cut the ends off.
- Cut in half and remove the insides, reserving pulp, leaving up to ¼-inch of potato attached to the skin.
- Crisp shells in a deep fryer until golden.
- Press the reserved potato pulp through a food mill.
- In a bowl, sprinkle potatoes with a good pinch of salt and flour, working in the flour with a wooden spoon.
- Knead the dough gently for 5 minutes on a lightly floured surface.Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a rope ¾-inch in diameter and 8-10 inches long.
- Cut equally into ¾-inch long pieces, and roll each with the tines of a fork.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the gnocchi in batches until they rise to the top of the water.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Keep warm.
- Place the Parmigiano-Reggiano rind in a small non-reactive pot with heavy cream.
- Slowly bring to almost a boil then simmer for 30-45 minutes over low heat.
- Strain; the more rind, the better the cream.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 4 ounces of heavy cream and bring to a quick boil.
- Add a good pinch of Parmesan ribbons, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add cooked gnocchi and 1 tablespoon of toasted pine nuts.
- Set aside.
- While cooking the Parmesan Cream, heat 1 tablespoon of shallots in a pan with garlic and olive oil.
- Add artichokes, and two large handfuls of spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper and 1 ounce of white wine to quickly wilt spinach mixture.
- Place the crisped baked potato boats on a pan and fill with a quarter of an artichoke then some of the spinach mixture.
- Top with 8 of the gnocchi and some of the Parmesan Cream.
- Place under the broiler to gratin the top.
- Surround with additional spinach mixture and 2 pieces of artichoke.
- Drizzle with sauce and garnish with fresh tomato concassé.
- Place crispy prosciutto into the potato gnocchi as a garnish.
- Serve immediately
Yield: 8 Servings
The Coeur d’Alene Resort
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho