Meatloaf Cupcakes with Idaho®Potato "Frosting" & Wild Mushroom Sauce
- 12 each thickly sliced bacon-cooked ½ way
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground veal
- 2 ounces butter liquid
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon marjoram leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaf
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces A-1 Sauce
- 2 ounces BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces BBQ sauce
- 3 cup shredded Cheddar- Jack Cheese Blend
- 1 quart brown gravy
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 ounces assorted mushrooms, (Shiitake, Cremini, Oyster), diced ¼-inch
- 2 ounces sherry wine
- 12 cups scratch made Idaho® mashed potatoes, heated
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots, diced ¼-inch, blanched
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup 1-inch broccoli florets, blanched
- 1/2 cup chopped chives and Italian parsley
- Preheat convection oven to 350°
- Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the butter liquid to the pan and add the onions, garlic and celery to the pan. Add all the spices and herbs, mix well. Cook the vegetables until tender. Transfer to a plate and refrigerate until chilled.
- Combine the ground meat, cream, eggs, bbq and A-1 sauce in a mixing bowl, mix well. Add the chilled vegetables, mix to combine thoroughly.
- Prepare a muffin tray with 1/2 cup wells by lining each of the 12 wells with a slice of the partailly cooked bacon around the sides. Fill each well with approximately 4 ounces of the meatloaf mixture, rounding the top to resemble a cupcake.
- Place the muffin tray onto a sheet tray and bake in the preheated oven for approx. 20 minutes. Glaze the top of each "cupcake" with 1/2 ounce BBQ sauce and bake an additional 10 minutes. Top each cupcake with 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Prepare gravy by combining the ingredients in a saucepan and reducing over medium heat by 1/3.
- Place hot potatoes in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip.
- Heat the meatloaf cupcakes in a microwave approx. 1 1/2 minutes covered with plastic. Reserve warm.
- Heat the vegetables separately in the microwave with a pat of butter and salt and pepper.
- Pipe three 1-inch tall by 3-inch diameter circles of potato in a linear pattern across the center of an oval platter. Drizzle potatoes with 3 ounces of the hot mushroom gravy.
- Top each circle with a meatloaf cupcake, and then pipe the top of each cupcake with potatoes as you would frost a cupcake.
- Place a broccoli floret on the center of each topped cupcake. Scatter the corn, carrots and peas on top of the potato "frosting" as you would decorate a cupcake. Sprinkle the cupcakes with chopped herbs, serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Bon Appetit Management
Ft. Wayne, IN