Twin Potato Dauphinoise
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound Idaho® Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- salt as needed
- pepper as needed
- ground nutmeg as needed
- 3 cups divided, shredded parmesan cheese
- herbs or microgreens, fresh, chopped (optional) as needed
- Preheat oven 350° F. In mixing bowl, combine eggs and cream. Whip well and set aside. Using a mandolin, slice potatoes thinly either cross or long ways. Cut sweet potatoes first.
- Place potatoes in separate bowls and season generously with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg. Rub potatoes to blend seasonings. Line a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with parchment paper and coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place a layer of sweet potato slices on parchment and sprinkle potatoes evenly with ½ cup parmesan. Repeat with a layer of white potatoes, then top with another ½ cup of parmesan. Continue layering to ¼ inch from the top of the baking pan.
- Pour cream mixture slowly over potatoes and allow to soak through. Top with remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1½ hours, or until potatoes are fork tender and custard is set. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
- Arrange a layer of parchment over potatoes, then top with an 8 by 21 inch cutting board or baking pan that fits snuggly inside perimeter of the pan. Place a 9 inch cast iron skillet or glass bowl filled half full of water over the top of potatoes to apply weight gently pressing layers firmly together overnight. Cool in refrigerator at least 8 to 10 hours. When ready to serve, cut into squares, triangles or circles. Microwave or reheat in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs or microgreens, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings