Vanilla Bean And Purple Peruvian Potato Ice Cream With Cinnamon Sugar Potato Chips
- 2 Vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons, divided, sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- 3 cups Purple Peruvian potato puree**
- 1 Idaho® russet potato, peeled and thinly sliced on mandolin
- 1 Idaho® purple Peruvian potato, peeled and thinly sliced on mandolin
- 3 cups peanut oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 cup whipped cream, lightly sweetened(optional)
- Purple Peruvian Potato Puree Ingredients:
- 15-20 Idaho® purple Peruvian potatoes, medium, unpeeled
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cups sugar
- Scrape seeds from vanilla beans with a paring knife. Heat milk, cream, salt, ¾ cups sugar and vanilla beans (seeds and pod) in a sauce pan. Cover, remove from heat, and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, stir together egg yolks. Gradually pour some of the milk mixture into the yolk, whisking constantly. Scrapes warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan. Add potato puree and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until thick and mixture coats the back of the spoon. Strain potato custard through a fine-mesh strainer and cool completely. Reserve ¼ cup custard for garnish.
- Freeze remaining custard in your ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions.
- Rinse potato slices until water runs clear. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Heat oil in a saucepan to 300 degrees F. Fry potatoes until golden brown and crisp. Drain well and toss in a bowl with 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon while still warm. Set aside to cool.
- Put a scoop of ice cream into four dessert bowls. Drizzle with reserved purple custard and place whipped cream and crispy cinnamon potatoes around the ice cream. Serve immediately.
- Scrub clean potatoes. Cover potatoes with water and add salt and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are soft. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Push potato pulp through a mesh strainer and reserve.
Yield: 4 Servings
Recess and Room Four