Yukon Gold Butterhorns
- 2 cups Idaho® Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ¾ cups divided unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1-2 cups divided unbleached all-purpose flour
- Oil as needed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place potatoes in saucepan and cover with water by an inch. Boil over medium heat until potatoes are soft. Drain over a heat proof bowl, reserving water for the dough. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the potatoes, just breaking them up. Measure out 2/3 cup potatoes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1/3 cup reserved cooking water with yeast and let sit 5 minutes. Place ¼ cup softened butter into the bowl and set the rest aside at room temperature for the folding process. To the bowl, add buttermilk, sugar, salt, potatoes, whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Using the dough hook and with the machine on low, mix to combine, forming a shaggy dough.
- Turn speed up to medium and begin adding additional all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the hook can knead the dough. Allow it to knead for about 5 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl and coat dough with oil. Let rise until double, about an hour.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out to a rectangle measuring 18 inches (from left to right) by 10 inches (from closest point to you to farthest point). Using a small offset spatula, spread remaining ½ cup butter over the surface of dough. Make the first trifold by folding the left third over the middle third. Using a soft brush, remove flour from surface of dough. Fold the right third on top of dough. Give dough a quarter turn. Using more flour as needed, roll it out again to form another 18-by-10 inch sheet of dough. Brush flour off top of dough and repeat the folds/turns. Repeat process one more time to give the dough 3 trifolds in total. Sprinkle flour on a sheet pan and carefully place dough on the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- To shape butterhorns, roll dough out on a floured surface to make a 24-by-12 inch rectangle. Brush flour off top surface of dough. Make the first cut through the middle from side to side to form two 24-by-6 inch sheets of dough. Using a ruler, mark the center cut every 3 inches from left side to right side. On top and bottom (or front and back) edges, make a mark every 3 inches so that it is centered between the cuts on the middle edges. Connect the dots by cutting from center to outer edges to make long thing triangles of dough. Give wide edge of each triangle a gentle stretch and roll dough up to form crescent shapes.
- Make egg wash by whisking egg with water, and brush each roll gently. Bake in a 375 degree F oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Yield: 30 small rolls