Tofu Potato Hash (School Nutrition version)
- 3 pounds 8 ounces firm tofu, ½ inch dice
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry powder, divided
- 3 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed clean
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound 8 ounces red onion, ½ inch dice
- 1.5 ounces fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound 8 ounces (3 cups) cooked brown rice
- 1 pound 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 9 ounces canned diced pimentos
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- Spray a 2-inch full size steamtable pan with pan release spray. Place the diced tofu in the prepared pan and sprinkle with half of the yellow curry powder. Stir gently to coat tofu with curry powder. Steam tofu for 2-3 minutes. Set aside. Alternately, bake tofu, covered, in a preheated 350°F oven for about 5-7 minutes.
- Place the clean Idaho® russet potatoes in a 2-inch full size perforated steamtable pan. Steam potatoes until they are tender through the center.
- CCP: Heat to 140°F or higher.
- Dice the steamed potatoes into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the diced red onion, minced garlic, and diced russet potatoes. Continue to cook, stirring every 2-3 minutes, for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and onions have browned slightly.
- Stir in the cayenne pepper, dried thyme and the remaining yellow curry powder, and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked brown rice, fresh spinach, and diced pimentos. Cook, stirring, just until the spinach wilts. Stir in the salt and black pepper.
- CCP: Heat to 165°F or higher for 15 seconds.
- Transfer to a 2-inch full size steamtable pan and hold hot until ready for service. Serve 1-cup portions.
- CCP: Hold for hot service at 135°F or higher
Recipe adapted from Ahmed Shazly, San Diego University. Click here for original recipe
Yield: 24 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Sodium: 107 mg
Fat: 5.6 g
Saturated Fat: .6 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Carbs: 23 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 10 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Garrett Berdan, RDN, LD