Summer Idaho® Potato and Vegetable Hash
- 3 Idaho potatoes
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 med. zucchini
- 1 med. yellow squash
- 1 small red onion
- 4 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (for boiling potatoes) to taste salt and pepper
- Wash and dice potatoes, place in a pan with cold water and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, cook until tender not soft. When done remove from heat and strain, rinsing with cold water.
- Wash the zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms and apples. Dice the squashes, apples and red onion. Slice the mushrooms thin. In a saute pan heat the oil and add all the apples and vegetables, cook for 3-5 minutes. When done the vegetables should be crisp. Place the apple mix in a bowl, add the potatoes, grated lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
- This apple hash makes a great side dish for grilled fish or poultry. "When I use this hash, I saute the hash and place it in a ring on the center of a plate, then remove the ring and sauce around the hash then place the grilled fish or poultry on top. Then garnish with four long chives crossing the chives at the ends." Serve at room temperature.