- 1 package prepared pizza dough or homemade pizza dough*
- 1/4 cup medium grind cornmeal
- 4-6 tablespoons prepared Lemon Pesto*
- 5 ounces Idaho® purple potatoes
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup arugula
- 10-12 small cherry tomato size balls of fresh mozzarella (called Ciliegine)
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- If making your own dough, prepare the pizza dough at least two hours in advance to allow for rising time.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/8 inch slices, preferably using a mandolin for quick and uniform slices.
- Heat a skillet over med-high heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil and red pepper flakes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes until the moisture is cooked off and the mushrooms are browned.
- Spray a cookie sheet(s) or pizza stone with oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal and press or roll out the dough into an oblong or circle with your hands, occasionally lifting up and rotating between your hands to stretch the dough out, if necessary.
- Bake the pizza dough for 5 minutes. Remove and begin layering the toppings. First, spread the Lemon Pesto sauce over the crust sparingly (it's OK to see the crust underneath - too much sauce makes for a soggy pizza) up to 1/2 inch from the edge.
- Place potato slices around the pizza, squish the mozzarella balls and space them out among the potatoes, scatter the mushrooms, sprinkle with two tablespoons of gorgonzola, lastly arrange the arugula on top and brush the outer crust with olive oil before placing in the oven.You will have ingredients left over which can be saved for another use, like a veggie scramble or omelet.
- Bake in the bottom third of the oven for 20-25 minutes, varies with each oven and the thickness of your crust.
I use the pizza dough recipe at King Arthur Flour, which at first seems rather involved, but it's because they offer options on preparation for that day or later use. I recommend Roland Food's Lemon Pesto sauce because it has zero sodium, compared to other brands that are quite high in sodium.