Potato and Onion Pilaf
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 4 dried red chiles, broken into small pieces
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and slivered
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 small red onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup boiled, peeled, and diced Idaho® Russet potatoes (about 1 medium potato)
- 2 cups water
- fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Place the rice in a bowl and cover with cold water. Swish the rice around with your hand, then drain in a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse the rice till the water drains clear, at least 3 or 4 times. Drain and set aside.
- Place a deep pot on medium heat and add the oil. When the oil shimmers, add the mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, add the red chiles, ginger, and garlic. Sauté till fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the curry powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and the onions. Mix well and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, till the onions soften and begin to brown.
- Add the potatoes. Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick, till the potatoes start to brown.
- Add the rice, mix well, and sauté for another minute.
- Add the water and stir gently for about a minute. Bring to a roaring boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, till the water is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat. Let sit for about 5 minutes, then fluff gently. Serve hot, garnished with cilantro.