Pimento Cheese Idaho® Potato Gratin
- 3 pounds Idaho® potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup pimentos
- 3 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ tablespoons coarse salt
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme (do not use dried)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine cream, pimentos, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, coarse salt and thyme sprigs.
- Cook and stir until dry spices are dissolved and the mixture begins to bubble, thicken and is reduced by 1/3.
- Remove thyme stems, leaving leaves in mixture. Set aside.
- Scrub and peel (if desired) Idaho® Russets.
- Using a sharp knife or mandolin, thinly slice potatoes.
- Plunge potatoes into cold water bath to prevent browning.
- Distribute melted butter in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Layer potato slices and pimento cream into dish.
- Midway through layering, distribute half of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Continue layering potato slices and pimento cream until all ingredients are used.
- Top with the remaining sharp cheddar cheese and cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered casserole in a preheated 325°(F) oven for one hour.
- Uncover and continue baking for 40-60 minutes, until potatoes are tender and top is crusty and browned.