Nantucket Sea Scallops, Sweetcorn & Morels
- 3O medium, dry pack, sea scallops, 5 pieces per person
- 4 fresh sweet corn cobs, shucked & the kernels cut off
- 1 Idaho® Russet potato, peeled, turned on a Benriner Spiral and deep fried (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons rough chopped leeks (white part only)
- 1 cup fresh morels
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 fresh garlic clove chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon diced onion
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 sprigs of fresh chervil
- To make the sauce for the scallops, Sauté 1 tablespoon onion and 1 tablespoon leek in 1 tablespoon of butter. Add corn and cook over medium heat. When the onion is soft add the wine and reduce by ¾ of volume for approximately 10 minutes. Take the corn out and strain the sauce.
- Slowly add 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of thyme, then whisk slowly over low heat until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep bowl of sauce warm by storing in a warm water bath until ready to use.
Corn & Morel Ragout Directions
- In a large sauté pan sauté 1 tablespoon onion in 1 tablespoon of butter then add 1 teaspoon of garlic and cook for one minute over medium heat. Add the corn, then add the morels and 1 teaspoon of thyme and cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a 10 inch heavy sauté pan over medium heat and add 1tablespoon of canola oil. Season the scallops lightly with salt and pepper, set the 10 scallops in the pan (not all at once), and don’t turn them until the flesh has turned light brown in color. This should take 1-2 minutes. Turn the scallops over and cook for another minute. This will give you a medium cooking temperature. Repeat three times. Hold the scallops warm in a 100 degree oven. Serve immediately.
- To complete the dish spoon a ¼ cup of the corn & morel ragout in the center of the plate. Ladle about 1 ½ ounces of sauce around the ragout, then place the 5 scallops on top of it. Garnish the top of the scallops with a sprig of chervil, and lightly deep fry the potato spirals until golden brown. Enjoy!