Mushroom and Idaho® Potato Lasagna
- 1 cup aged balsamic vinegar
Idaho® Potato Lasagna:
- 1 large Idaho® potato, peeled
- Olive oil for cooking
- 6 ounces Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 lb wild mushrooms, thickly sliced or quartered
- Olive oil, as needed
- 4-6 ounces heavy cream
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare a balsamic glaze by slowly reducing the balsamic vinegar by half. Be careful not to burn the vinegar or cook it too quickly, as this will cause the glaze to taste bitter.
- Once vinegar has reduced, set aside.
- Cut the peeled potato into 1/8 inch-thick slices. You will need 12 slices for 4 portions of lasagna.
- Drop the slices into boiling water, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the slices, let cool.
- Place a pan on the stove at high heat. Once the pan is very hot, add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place a few potato slices in the pan (don't overcrowd the pan, or the slices won't brown), and cook for about 1 minute, until the bottoms have turned golden brown.
- Flip the slices, and sprinkle them lightly with some of the Pecorino Romano and chopped parsley, taking care not to let any cheese fall onto the surface of the pan. Reserve some cheese for sautéed mushrooms.
- Once the undersides of the potato slices have cooked, carefully flip them again, and cook for about 30 seconds, until the cheese has browned slightly. Set slices aside, and continue process until you have prepared 12 slices.
- On medium heat, sauté the mushrooms in 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the mushrooms begin to release their liquid, add the heavy cream.
- Once the cream begins to cook, add the spinach, and continue cooking.
- When the cream has thickened slightly, lower the heat, and stir in the remaining Pecorino Romano from potato preparation. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and reserve for plating.
- Place 1 sliced potato on a plate.
- Top with about 1 tablespoon of the mushroom mixture, then 1 more slice of potato, then another tablespoon of the mushroom mixture and a final slice of potato (try to save the best-looking slices for the top.
- Drizzle the top of the lasagna with Balsamic Glaze and serve.
Yield: 4 servings