Moroccan Shepherd's Pie
This classic comfort dish uses a dash of global flavors and leftover beef and mashed potatoes to stretch your dollar and fill you up!
- 4 cups leftover Loaded Cheesy Garlic Homestyle Mashed Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ pepper, seeded, stemmed and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup leftover cooked beef, minced
- 4 cups spinach
- Heat the oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook out the liquid, about 7 minutes. The mushrooms will get moist and then dry as the liquid evaporates.
- Add onion, pepper, and carrot and sauté until soft, 5-7 minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- In the skillet, mix in the Moroccan seasonings, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the veggies.
- Add the broth and the beef. Stir to combine.
- Place the spinach on top and cover the skillet. The spinach will wilt down from the heat of the skillet.
- Once wilted, fold the filling together to mix evenly.
- Reheat the potatoes in the microwave. Using a spatula, drop the potatoes over the filling in large dollops. Gently spread the potatoes into an even layer, covering the top.
- Preheat the broiler to high. Place the skillet under the broiler with a watchful eye, until the potatoes are just browning on top.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Cook's note: You can use more beef in this recipe if desired, or more mushrooms. If you increase the beef, decrease the mushrooms, and likewise if you increase the mushrooms.
Ground beef also works great for this recipe. Be sure to brown the beef before using it.
Batch Cooking to Make Meal Prep Easy
Batch cooking cuts down on time but definitely not on flavor! In this series, we started with the mashed potato recipe below. With the leftovers, we made fun-to-eat crispy taquitos and still had enough for this shepherd's pie for dinner.