IPC's Best Traditional Potato Salad
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds Idaho® potatoes (5 large, or 8-9 medium)
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 dill pickle spears, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip salad dressing
- 3 tablespoons liquid from dill pickle jar
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Scrub potatoes well, but do not peel. Place potatoes in a stockpot, add water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high and cook 12 to 15 minutes, or until a knife can easily pierce the potatoes, but they're still firm. Pour off the hot water, and add cold water to the pot to help cool down the potatoes. Set potatoes aside while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Roughly chop 6 of the eggs, saving two for garnish. Add the chopped egg to a large mixing bowl. Add the onion and chopped pickles to the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, using a whisk, combine the mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, dill pickle liquid, yellow mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine; set aside.
- Remove the cooled potatoes from the pot of water. With a paring knife, remove the potato peels (they will come off easily). Cut the potatoes into small cubes and add to the other ingredients in the mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon, gently toss the salad ingredients to mix. Add the dressing mixture and gently toss again to coat all ingredients well.
- Transfer potato salad to a serving bowl. Slice remaining two eggs into thin slices and arrange them around the salad to garnish. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving (preferably overnight) to let the flavors combine.
Yield: 12 3/4-cup servings (about 9 cups of salad)
Sodium: 298 mg
Fat: 14 g
Protein: 6.5 g
Cholesterol: 149 mg