Indian Bread Roll
These crispy air fryer Indian Bread Rolls are stuffed with spicy Idaho® potato filling and are a delicious snack any time of the day. Make it for school lunches or as an after-school snack – your kids will gobble them up in no time.
Note - You don't need an air-fryer to make these bread rolls. They can be easily pan-fried.
Read Anushree's full post, with step-by-step instructions, here.
- 4 medium-sized Idaho® potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- water as needed
Spices for the stuffing
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 Indian or Thai green chilies (Bird's eye) chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- salt as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 slices white bread
- Green chutney or ketchup for serving
- Place the peeled and chopped potatoes in the steel insert of the Instant Pot.
- Add water till the potatoes are submerged. Add salt and mix well.
- Close the lid and set the vent to sealing position.
- Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. When the cooking cycle is complete, release pressure by moving the vent to the venting position.
- Drain the water, mash the potatoes and transfer to a bowl.
- Rinse the Instant Pot steel insert and wipe it clean.
Making the stuffing
- Add oil in the steel insert of the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to ’Sauté’ mode and adjust to normal.
- Once the oil is hot, add cumin seeds. When they start to sizzle, add the green chilies. Sauté for about 10 seconds.
- Add cumin and coriander powder along with salt, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Mix well and then immediately add the potatoes along with lime juice and cilantro.
- Mash using either the back of a spatula or a potato masher until no lumps remain.
Making the rolls
- Flatten the bread slices (one at a time) using a rolling pin.
- Take about 1.5 tablespoons of the potato stuffing and spread it evenly over a flattened bread slice.
- Roll the bread slices tightly into a long cylinder. Dab the edges of the bread with water to seal them.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the bread slices.
Air frying the rolls
- Set the air fryer at 400°F. Let it preheat for about 5 minutes.
- Place the rolls inside the basket and cook for about 10 minutes. Note - Don't crowd the rolls. Depending on the size of your air fryer you may have to cook these in batches.
- Serve hot with green chutney or ketchup.
- You can leave the crust on or cut it off... your choice. If it comes off while rolling, trim it off with a knife.
- Don't have an air-fryer? No problem! Pan or deep fry these rolls till they turn golden brown.
These bread rolls can be filled with a variety of stuffings. For example:
- Leftover pav bhaji – make sure it is not runny. Heat up to thicken if necessary.
- Leftover mashed potatoes – After Thanksgiving, most of us have leftover mashed potatoes. Spice them up with salt and pepper and use as a filling.
- Peas – Use about 1/2 cup of peas. Boil with potatoes and mash well.
Serving Size: 2 rolls
Saturated Fat: 1g