Idaho® Potato Monte Cristo Sandwich
Monica Kass Rogers
- 5 pounds Idaho® russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup clover honey
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced small, sautéed, chilled
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, clarified
- 18 slices turkey breast
- 18 slices ham
- 18 slices Genoa salami
- 12 slices Gruyère cheese
- Add potatoes to large pot of cold salted water. Bring to boil, 10 to 15 minutes. Cook until fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Mash potatoes, chill.
- In small bowl, whisk together mustard and honey. Reserve.
- In large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, egg yolks and flour, mixing thoroughly.
- On work surface lined with waxed paper, use spatula to form potato mixture into 12 square patties.
- Heat generous amount of butter in large, nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, transfer patties to pan and cook until golden-brown, about 5 minutes per side, adding more butter as needed. Lower heat; keep warm in uncovered pan.
- In separate pan over high heat, sear turkey, ham and salami just until hot.
- Distribute meats evenly over 6 potato patties. Top each with 2 slices Gruyère; let cheese melt slightly, about 2 minutes. Top with remaining potato patties to make sandwiches.
- Serve warm with honey mustard on the side for dipping.