1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110°F)
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup prepared instant Idahoan mashed potatoes, cooled
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups dry instant Idahoan mashed potatoes
Oil for frying
1 cup powdered sugar for topping
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Beat in cold potatoes, eggs, cooled milk, yeast mixture and salt.
- Sift the flour and dry instant mashed potatoes together, reserving 1/4 cup of the flour to use for dusting the work surface.
- Mix the flour into the potato mixture, adding just enough to make a soft dough. Knead well.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, 30-60 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut with a well-floured 2-inch square cutter (pizza cutter works great too) into 2x2 squares. Let rise uncovered about 30 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350°F in a heavy saucepan.
- Putting just a few of the beignets in the oil at a time, fry for two minutes, flip and fry until golden on the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Shake beignets with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.