Portuguese Idaho® Potato and Chorizo Skillet
It’s true that chorizo makes everything better. This easy recipe will create the most delicious potatoes you will ever make. Although we think breakfast when we think potatoes and eggs, this is a one skillet meal that is perfect for dinner too.
When camping, I like to boil the potatoes at home and throw them on the skillet over an open flame. This is gourmet camping at it’s best. Your family will request this meal over and over.
- 1.5 pounds Idaho® Potato Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 small hard chorizo, approximately 2 ounces, casing removed (do not use Mexican Chorizo)
- 1 tablespoon spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, minced
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons sea salt. Cut the potatoes in quarters. Add potatoes to boiling water and boil just until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon, pour off any excess water, and set aside. If camping or serving a large crowd, I will do this the night before.
- Slice the chorizo into thin slices. Mix the paprika and garlic powder.
- Set a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and when hot, add Idaho® Potato Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes. Sprinkle with garlic powder and spanish paprika mixture and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Turning potatoes only once or twice, cook 8 minutes or until golden-brown. Turn heat to medium and add the sliced chorizo. Cook for about a minute.
- Push potatoes to the sides, melt butter in the center of pan, and add the eggs, salting each individually. For fried eggs, cook uncovered 4 to 6 minutes; for over-medium eggs, cover pan for 3 minutes, then uncover and continue cooking just until whites are set, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Finish with minced parsley and sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.