Idaho® Potato Cake Benedict
- 5 pounds Idaho® red-skinned potatoes (Red Lady™, Klondike Rose™ or Red La Soda)
- 2 cups raw corn kernels
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup chipotle sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic in oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart blended whole liquid egg
- 1 gallon Japanese bread crumbs (panko)
- Oil as needed for deep-frying
- 72 marinated asparagus spears
- 24 poached eggs
- 6 cups hollandaise sauce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 36 strawberries
- 12 cantaloupe wedges
- In saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-heat heat; boil until potatoes are easily pierced with fork, 30 to 40 minutes. Drain well.
- Place potatoes in bowl of mixer; mix on low speed.
- Add corn, cheeses, chipotle sauce, sour cream, green onions, salt, Cajun seasoning cilantro, garlic, lime juice, pepper and cumin to potatoes.
- Continue mixing on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated and mixture is uniform in color and texture, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer potato mixture to full-size pan. Chill at least 30 minutes.
- When mixture is cool, using a level #12 scoop, scoop potato mixture onto parchment-lined sheet tray. Shape each scoop into a cake shape about the size of a crab cake.
- To bread: Season flour with salt and pepper to taste. Dredge each formed cake into seasoned flour; dip in liquid egg; dredge in bread crumbs. Transfer to clean parchment-lined sheet tray. Cover cakes; label and refrigerate.
- Per order: Fry 2 potato cakes in hot fryer until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, broil 6 asparagus spears until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To plate: Place 2 cooked potato cakes on half of white dinner plate. Top each potato cake with 3 spears broiled asparagus at slight angle with tips facing outward. Place 1 poached egg atop asparagus on each cake. Drizzle 2 ounces hollandaise over each egg. (All ingredients should be visible under hollandaise.) Sprinkle eggs with 2 teaspoons diced tomato.
- Garnish each portion with 3 strawberries and 1 cantaloupe wedge.
Yield: 12 Servings
Popeye's Chicken & Biscuits