Idaho® Potato Bowls with Avocado and Black Beans
- 10 small gold or red Idaho® potatoes
- About 2 tablespoons oil (we like avocado oil)
- Black Bean Salsa - recipe below (or your favorite store bought brand)
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime slices for squeezing, if desired
- ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (optional... but we love them!)
- ¼ - ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño (more or less based on spiciness of pepper)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice (more or less as desired)
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Scrub potatoes and then slice in half horizontally. Using a rounded spoon tip, a round measuring spoon or a melon baller, scoop out the center of the potato - creating a bowl. (See Liv Life note below)
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss with your hands, then place potatoes cut side up on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt if desired.
- Place into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes. Flip potatoes and continue baking until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife (5-10 minutes longer). Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- While potatoes are baking make the Black Bean Salsa - Simply place all ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust to your preference.
- Alternatively, use store bought Black Bean Salsa, or use store bought salsa and add ½ can of drained and rinsed black beans.
- Potatoes may be cooled completely, or filled with cool enough to handle (I actually prefer them slightly warm). Place cooled potatoes onto a serving platter and fill with a spoonful of salsa. Top with diced avocado then sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with freshly cut wedges of lime.
Save scooped potato for another use, for example toss into soup or roast with rosemary and additional vegetables.