Idaho® Potato and Mushroom Lasagna
- 2 pounds Idaho Potatoes (get the largest potatoes possible)
- cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound assorted exotic mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons each, fresh thyme and oregano leaves
- 1 cup assorted salad greens, washed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Peel the potatoes and place them in a bowl of cold water. Using a sharp paring knife, square off each potato to a near-perfect rectangle, while trying to minimize waste. Using a vegetable slicer (such as a mandoline) or a knife, slice the potatoes into lengthwise slices 1/8-inch thick.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, spread the potato slices in one layer on the sheet. Coat the potatoes slices with cooking spray; season with salt and pepper and place in the oven to bake for 12 minutes or until the potatoes have cooked to a translucent sheen.
- Place two tablespoons olive oil into a 12-inch skillet and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms begin to brown; add the chicken broth. Bring the broth to a simmer and cook another 2 minutes or until broth is nearly evaporated. Stir in the butter; mixture should have a creamy, sauce-like texture. Add the herbs and season with salt and pepper; keep mixture warm.
- Remove the potato slices from the oven and place one slice on a plate. Place two tablespoons of the mushroom mixture in an even layer on the potato slice; top with another slice of potato and continue to layer the mushrooms and potatoes to make 3 layers. Spoon some additional mushroom mixture onto the top potato layer. Repeat procedure with remaining potato slices and mushroom mixture to make 4 servings.
- Place salad greens in a mixing bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Garnish each plate of lasagna with some of the salad; serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
(Recipe Photo Contest Winner)