Idaho® Potato and Pesto Chicken Salad
Cubed chicken breast tossed with Idaho® potato slices, pesto and green beans is a vibrant, fresh twist on the traditional mayo-based chicken salad.
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, well scrubbed (peeled, if desired)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup prepared pesto sauce
- 3 - 6 cups mixed salad greens such as Boston, bibb or mesclun mix (optional)
- Over high heat, in a large, heavy pot with tight-fitting cover, bring half a pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut them crosswise in 1/2-inch slices. Add potatoes to boiling water, cover and return to boiling; cook 3 minutes.
- Add green beans to pot with potatoes and cook another 4 minutes; drain potatoes and beans and set aside. (Vegetables should be firm.)
- In the same pot, heat olive oil over high heat and cook the chicken, stirring for 6 - 8 minutes or until meat is completely cooked through. Remove from heat; stir in pesto sauce, then gently stir in potatoes and green beans, taking care not to break up the vegetables. Serve salad warm or at room temperature on a bed of salad greens, if desired.