Idaho® Potato and Pesto Chicken Salad
Cubed chicken breast tossed with Idaho® potato slices, pesto and green beans is a vibrant, fresh twist on the traditional mayo-based chicken salad.
- 2 pounds Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed, peeled if desired
- 1 pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1˝ cubes
- ¾ cup prepared pesto sauce
- 3-6 cups mixed salad greens such as Boston, bibb or mesclun mix (optional)
- Over high heat, in a large, heavy pot with tight-fitting cover, bring half a pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut them crosswise in ½˝ slices.
- Add potatoes to boiling water, cover and return to boiling; cook 3 minutes.
- Add green beans to pot with potatoes and cook another 4 minutes; drain potatoes and beans and set aside. Vegetables should be firm.
- In the same pot, heat olive oil over high heat and cook the chicken, stirring for 6-8 minutes or until the meat is completely cooked through.
- Remove from heat; stir in pesto sauce, then gently stir in potatoes and green beans, taking care not to break up the vegetables.
- Serve salad warm or at room temperature on a bed of salad greens, if desired.