Idaho® Potato Gazpacho
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 large cloves)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 medium Idaho Potatoes, well scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup water
- 10 plum tomatoes, washed, halved crosswise and seeded
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, washed, seeded and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 4 cups tomato juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- Juice of one lemon
- Dill sprigs for garnish (optional)
- In a large, heavy stockpot, over high heat, heat olive oil; add garlic and stir about 30 seconds. Add onions and stir another 2 minutes, until onions are translucent. Turn heat down to medium; add potatoes and water; stir. Cover pot and allow to steam for 8 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Cool.
- While potatoes are steaming, finely chop tomatoes, peppers and cucumber in a food processor, working in small batches. Add vegetables to pot with potatoes; stirring to scrape up all browned bits. Add tomato juice, salt and pepper to taste and fresh dill. Stir to combine.
- Chill soup in refrigerator. Just before serving, add the lemon juice and stir. Serve cold, with dill sprigs for garnish, if desired.